Nigeria is Africa’s top eCommerce market. According to the 2018 UN CTAD Report Nigeria is Africa’s most populous eCommerce market. Nigeria is a great place to expand your online business.
Finding the lowest shipping rates is the first step in shipping to Nigeria. It’s not always easy or straightforward. It can be difficult to find a reliable and affordable courier in Africa, but this is one of the keys to success.
There are several factors that can impact the cost of shipping to Nigeria.
- Delivery time
- Dimensions & Weight of the Package
- Tracking options & insurance
- Import duties & taxes
What is the shipping time to Nigeria?
Transit time is the first variable in shipping to Nigeria. It will take more time to ship items from Nigeria than from another country. This is why shipping costs rise.
Two factors influence the shipping cost to Nigeria.
- Your shipping company selection
- The shipping company’s delivery options
Depending on the courier you choose, shipping to Nigeria can take up to 12 business days. You will need to pay an extra fee for expedited shipping.
USPS First Class International is our preferred shipping method. It takes 10-12 business days and costs less than $25. DHL eCommerce Packet Priority ($30 for maximum weight and size) can deliver it faster if you need it sooner. DHL Express Worldwide is the fastest option, but it costs more than $80. It can only be used for packages that weigh less than 4 lbs.
You will always have to wait longer to receive a lower shipment, regardless of whether it is the courier, destination country or shipment type. You can still get cheaper shipping rates to Nigeria if you are willing to wait longer for delivery.
Shipping to Nigeria: Cost
Shipping to Nigeria can be affected by the distance and delivery time.
- You will pay more if your package is heavier. But don’t fret! Lightweight packages can be shipped using parcels on a parcel scale. This allows any size or shape package for a lower cost.
- Size: Special packaging materials will increase the cost of packages with unusual dimensions and shapes. Use standard sizes of boxes or simple rectangular shapes if you can.
Nigerian customs duties and taxes
Each country is subject to import duties, and taxes on all incoming shipments. Some countries do not have to pay fees. To determine if you will be charged customs duty, use our free Tax and Duty Calculator Nigeria.
Shipping tips to save money
Shipping is an important aspect of eCommerce. It goes beyond just getting low shipping rates. It is important to take into account the needs of your customers and streamline the shipping process. These are some tips that will help you ship Nigerian goods as cheaply and smoothly as possible.
- Notify your courier about fragile items. Before you ship fragile items, let your courier know. This may incur an additional shipping charge, but it is better than the customer receiving damaged goods on their doorstep.
- Different shipping options are a great way for shoppers to have a variety of options. Customers can then choose the shipping option that suits them best, whether it is faster delivery, extra insurance, or a more affordable option like RoRo.
- Be sure to weigh your packages accurately. What does this mean for you? You may be required to pay additional fees to get the package released.
- Before you send the first shipment, make sure to check the customs regulations for the country to which you are sending the package.
- It can be challenging to track shipping rates and times. You might want to compare different courier companies to find the best price for you and your customers. You might find the best deal or even the cheapest.
- To provide transparency to customers about shipping costs, it is important to calculate duties and taxes. Cost calculation is an important responsibility that you have. It helps you maintain a competitive edge in the market.
- When it comes to increasing your profit margins, “Automating Shipping” seems to be a popular theme. You can easily see real-time and accurate shipping rates at checkout using an all-in-one platform like Easyship. This will help you drive more sales.