As much as the coronavirus pandemic has caused our lives to shift upside down, one thing that we can acknowledge that has done us favorably good is keeping our hygiene intact. The utmost consequence of not practicing hygiene is living an unhealthy lifestyle and no one would want to choose that.
The First thing that shall pop up in your mind when you think of hygiene must be washing your hands? All thanks to the consistent messages that kept us updated on how to protect ourself from the coronavirus pandemic.
Some tips that can help you prevent yourself from getting the virus need to be adjusted, and demand a change of lifestyle.
- Wearing a mask no matter where you go, make sure the mask covers your nose and mouth properly
- Maintain a safe distance from people
- Avoid large social gatherings.
- Take a walk with your medical boots on to the open spaces like; public parks or open empty streets
- Prioritize going to open spaces instead of indoors and close ones’
- Get vaccinated as early as possible.
- Keep washing our hands and practice proper hygiene
- Stay home as much as you can
Other than protecting ourselves from the coronavirus, we need to acknowledge that there are more diseases that we are exposed to, if we don’t consider proper hygiene, we might even come in contact with those diseases. Some examples of those diseases include;
- Hepatitis A.
- Periodontal Disease.
- Different skin diseases
Firstly and foremost one must know how to keep their immunity regulated to avoid catching these diseases. One can practice this while maintaining good hygienic practices. There are many other problems other than the aforementioned diseases that can come by if one is careless about their hygiene.
How to practice proper hygiene?
The table below shows how you can practice proper hygiene
Proper hygiene practices
Shower every day
Don’t touch your face very frequently
Do laundry, cooking at your own home.
Wash your hands before and after eating anything
Wash your hands if you pet an animal
Brush your teeth twice a day
Try covering your nose and your mouth when you are sneezing or coughing- the germs are seamless but can cause you a ton
Wear clean clothes and wash your clothes with an antibacterial detergent. Do not wear sweaty clothes even if they look clean.
Make sure the surrounding environment is clean, tidy, and disinfected as well.
Washing your genitals properly
The food – fruit and vegetables – especially the raw one must be washed properly because we need good eating.
Practice personal hygiene and take care of the hygiene of your loved ones as well.
Proper waste dumping is also proper hygiene
The table below emphasizes how important it is to dispose of waste properly for it is as much a part of practicing proper hygiene.
Importance of proper waste disposal practices
- Proper disposal of waste promotes good health standards
- To avoid different types of pollution, soil, water, and air
- Helps in thinking that resources must not be used recklessly and must be recycled
- It helps maximize the chances and encourages practicing the decomposition process
- Reduces the chances of people being an open victim to different diseases.
Living healthy is directly proportional to practicing proper hygiene. You might be encouraging people around you to embrace cleanliness that you don’t even know of by just keeping yourself and the environment around you clean.
How are we living healthy just by keeping ourselves clean?
After the Ebola outbreak in The Democratic Republic of the Congo, UNICEF managed to explain the importance of washing hands to children and women so that the disease does not get more deadly. People were asked to watch over their water source and sanitation to ensure that the water they were using was also clean and usable.
It is also important to notice that children of age five experience diarrhea and malnutrition in most developing countries. It was encouraged by UNICEF, again that they keep their hands and food clean to avoid it becoming a part of their living.
How can we clean water and sanitation?
The best way to keep in check how clean the water and sanitation around you is to make sure the sanitation facilities around you are advanced and have a safe enclosure.
Other than that you must acknowledge that;
- Creating awareness and educating around you about the importance of washing hands with clean water and soap which can help reduce the chances of diarrhea by thirty-five percent or more.
- Storing the rainwater and harvesting systems that encourage using the rainwater must be endorsed.
- Build wells to store clean water.
- The use of filters must be encouraged because the idea of clean running water can be a skeptic.
- Lost cost and durable solutions must be encouraged to save water and keep it clean.
- Water-preserving reservoirs to make water reusable and clean again must be thought out to save the world from the water crisis.
Endorse cleanliness – Start from home
Living with the pandemic has already changed our daily routines a lot. The important thing to notice is that if it has increased and changed in terms of practicing more cleanliness. The first step to embracing cleanliness and living a better life is by starting from your own home. Some practices that must be endorsed for best hygiene practices considering the pandemic include;
- Developing a habit of cleaning your rooms and furniture daily. Make sure your bed sheets are also frequently changed to avoid contact with dirt mites.
- Setting a specific spot to place your shoes
- Cleaning up the utensils and washing hands frequently while making food. You also want to make sure that your nails are clean.
- Hoover regularly in your house to avoid containing dust at all. Dust can bring contagious allergies.
- Keep your toilets clean. Sinks, floors, towels, bathtubs even wipe the toilet walls as regularly as you can.
- Dust the windows frequently.
- Wear a special ‘home-cleaning attire and keep it washed regularly as well.
- Try to keep your outdoors clean as well.
A realization of practicing proper hygiene is enough to lead a healthy lifestyle!