Even if a puddle of water after a wash cycle indicates a drain problem, the exact cause may not be so obvious. Are you wondering why the water in your Frigidaire dishwasher isn’t draining? A clogged filter can stop water flow, resulting in puddles in your dishwasher. Check out these four tips to make it easier to diagnose and fix your Frigidaire dishwasher’s drain problems.
A reputable Frigidaire dishwasher repair technician should replace the pump if it does not run smoothly. Avoid washing all dirty dishes by hand because your Frigidaire dishwasher won’t drain.
Not Draining Water From A Frigidaire Dishwasher?
While the cause of an unexplained puddle in your dishwasher may seem mysterious, there are only a few options. We’ll describe the most common reasons your Frigidaire dishwasher won’t drain, as well as the best ways to fix them.
Drain Hose Is Obstruction
The drain line that connects the dishwasher to the sink drain or garbage disposal so the water can go is a thin plastic hose. It usually runs under the sink; if it is moved or clogged with debris, it can kink and stop the water flow. A broken hose must be replaced, even if you can carefully straighten out the kinks to remove the obstruction.
There may be an internal obstruction in the hose that prevents water from draining if it is not kinked. While it is ideal to call a professional to remove the clog in the hose, an experienced handyman can handle the task.
The following actions offer broad guidance for clearing drain hose obstructions:
- Disconnect the dishwasher.
- To find the drain hose, see your Frigidaire dishwasher’s owner’s handbook. Most of them are hidden under the bottom of the front panel.
- The pump’s drain pipe should be disconnected.
- Check the line for obstructions and use a screwdriver or straightened wire hanger to remove any blockages carefully.
- You may have to disconnect the hose from the garbage disposal or sink drain if the clog is hard to reach. The drain pipe must be replaced if the clog cannot be removed.
Dishwasher filter needs cleaning
The dishwasher filter removes large food particles to prevent them from clogging the drain pump or hose. The filter itself can accumulate debris over time and prevent water from draining. Fortunately, if your Frigidaire dishwasher isn’t draining, cleaning the filter can be a simple solution. Most dishwasher cleaning tips recommend cleaning your filters once a month to avoid clogs.
Here’s how to clean the drain filter on a Frigidaire dishwasher:
- Take off the bottom rack of the dishwasher.
- While turning the filter handle in a counterclockwise direction, apply pressure to the wash arm.
- To remove it together with the filter, lift the spray arm.
- Disconnect the wash arm from the filter, then rinse the filter to get rid of any debris.
- Put the spray arm and filter back together and into its compartment.
- To lock the spray arm in position, turn the filter handle counterclockwise and apply pressure to the arm.
Sink Drain Pump Problem
The Frigidaire dishwasher drain pump facilitates water drainage by using an impeller to force water through the drain line and out of the dishwasher. Food debris and other debris can sometimes jam the impeller, preventing normal draining. See your owner’s manual for instructions on how to reach the drain pump and clear any obstructions.
In some cases, the drain pump motor may malfunction, preventing the pump from removing water. A multimeter test is often used to confirm pump motor malfunction.
Problems with Garbage Disposal and Air Gap
Sometimes, the Frigidaire dishwasher won’t drain because of an air gap or clogged garbage disposal. If you have a garbage disposal or air gap, they likely share a drain with the dishwasher. This common drain can become clogged when debris accumulates and clogs in either of these units. In this case, the dishwasher will experience reverse water flow during the wash cycle.
Before starting the wash cycle, run the disposer to clear the drain of debris that is causing the clog. By opening the lid and cleaning any visible clogs with a paper towel or nylon bristle brush, the air gaps can be easily cleaned.