The RTP is one of the most important parts of slot gaming, if it could be manipulated then many feel the game would be ruined. Some players question whether casinos manipulate the RTP. You can visit the game lobby sorted by theme, paylines and RTP.
What is the RTP?
Before finding out whether the casino can manipulate a slot’s RTP, it is important for players to understand what exactly the RTP is. The RTP or return to player is a percentage that can be found alongside every slot release, this percentage indicates to players how much return they can expect to receive over a period of time. This percentage can commonly be found in the paytable of a slot, it is the main way that players decide what slot game to use. Generally, the average RTP of a slot game is 95%. It will always be under 100% as the casino needs to make some sort of profit. Sometimes, this percentage can vary wildly. There are some slots which offer a low RTP around 90% whilst there are others which offer an RTP as high as 99%!
Can it be Manipulated?
A common misconception that players have is that the RTP can be manipulated. There are in fact no ways that this can happen. There are many reasons why an RTP cannot be manipulated.
- It is set by slot developers – The developers have undertaken many hours of research to try and find the most effective RTP for the games experience, if casinos or players could change the RTP this could end up ruining the experience.
- Players decide on a slot game primarily due to the RTP – One of the main factors that influence a players decision in whether to try a new slot game is what the RTP is. If this percentage could be manipulated by players or casinos, this would make it increasingly difficult to decide.
- Heavy regulation – One of the more practical reasons as to why manipulation of the RTP is not possible, institutions such as the Gambling Commission provide strict rules which make manipulation impossible. Casinos have to follow rules set by this commission or they risk losing their license.
One of the main things which guarantee that a slot RTP cannot be manipulated by players is the RNG. This stands for random number generator and it is an important part of the inner machinery of a slot.
- The RNG essentially guarantees that the outcome of a slot spin will be completely random. This means that it will not be affected by any outside influence.
- It completes complex mathematical equations the moment the player presses the spin button, these workout what the most random outcome will be.
- As the RNG has no memory of a previous spin, it has no discernible pattern. This makes it impossible for players to predict what the outcome will be on the next spin.
Due to things such as the RNG, it is pretty much impossible for casinos to manipulate the RTP. The RNG helps to guarantee that the outcome of a spin will be completely random.