Portable handheld fire extinguishers are life saviors which save both lives and property. But when it comes to the fast spread of fire, sometimes only fire extinguishers are not enough. They stall the time for you, as it becomes easy to evacuate the building until the fire department reaches it; however, you cannot benefit from them unless you choose the right extinguisher.
Choosing the right fire extinguisher according to the type of fire emergency you will encounter in your building or office plays a major role in wiping fire out of existence.
For example, you won’t be experiencing class K fire emergencies in hospitals; likewise, you won’t see class B fires at homes unless you got your hands on combustible paints.
So, it is immensely important to know how to use the (fire extinguisher) حريق طفاية and which one to use with which class of fire. Don’t worry if you don’t know how this works because, in this article, we will discuss the same things along with the safety and security tips of fire extinguishers.
Don’t forget to check the following things in your Fire Extinguishers
Handheld fire extinguishers are the best first-line defense against fire emergencies. So, you must look for the following things in the fire extinguisher before actually using it in your defense.
Fire Extinguishers should be accessible:
How tragic it would be that you are trapped in your building, meanwhile fire ignites, and you don’t even know where to look for the fire extinguishers?
Make sure that everyone in the building knows where exactly the fire extinguisher is. All the hindrances should be cleared so that everyone can easily access them.
Check the pressure of the fire extinguisher.
Most of the handheld fire extinguishers are equipped with a valve or a gauge that shows the exact pressure of the fire extinguisher. Make sure that it is within the normal ranges, not too high, not too low.
Working parts of the fire extinguisher
The working parts of the fire extinguisher include the hose, cans, and nozzles. Ensure that they are not rusted, dented, or damaged before you get your hands on the extinguisher to put out the fire.
The cleanliness of fire extinguishers is important.
Cleanliness is an important factor when it comes to the proper functioning of fire extinguishers. Dust, grease, or oil can slow down or stop the normal working of the extinguisher.
If you have checked all the things mentioned earlier in your fire extinguisher and your extinguisher meets all the requirements, it is safe to use when in a fire emergency. So it is very crucial to regularly check these things because you never know when the fire sparks and make it difficult for you.
Next, we will discuss some safety tips for using a fire extinguisher to properly train how to use the fire extinguishers.
- Fire extinguishers come in handy when the fire is not wild and can be contained with the extinguisher. That does not mean that you should not use the fire extinguisher if a fire ignites in your building, but it is better to call the fire department as soon as possible and evacuate the occupants by stalling the fire with fire extinguishers.
- To operate the fire extinguishers in the right way, follow the PASS phenomenon, which says,
P: Pull the pin off the fire extinguisher. Hold the extinguisher in such a way that the nozzle is far away from you and unlock the locking mechanism.
A: Your Aim should be at the base of the fire so that you can wipe out the fire from the base of the flames. Putting out fire gets way easier in this way.
S: Squeeze the lever evenly and slowly on the fire.
S: Sweep the nozzle from one side to another.
- Though the handheld fire extinguishers are made according to the fire’s class, multipurpose fire extinguishers are available as well. Such extinguishers are the best choice for home fire where the emergency can be contained easily.
- If you are not aware of the preventive measures or parts of the fire extinguisher. It is best to read the manual that comes along with the fire extinguisher and familiarize yourself with the parts of the device.
- Even if you equip yourself with one of the best fire extinguishers, do not forget those fire extinguishers are the response to fire emergencies, and the ulterior motive is to save the lives of the occupants. If everyone can safely exit the building and not contain the fire without the fire department’s help, it is better to leave it to the professionals to take care of it.
These are the things that everyone should consider who wants to play his role in fire safety, prevention, and protection!