If you want to get better WiFi without upgrading your existing router, Netgear AC1200 WiFi extender is the best option to choose. In the AC1200 family, there are various members such as EX6150, EX6120, EX6110, and EX5000. No matter which Netgear AC1200 model you own, the setup and installation process will remain the same for all.
This post will throw a light on how to set up Netgear AC1200 WiFi extender. Let’s take the plunge.
Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender Setup
Regardless of the Netgear extender model you own, the extender basically connects to your current router and utilizes it to transmit its new WiFi network. What below-given is a step-by-step guide to perform the Netgear AC1200 setup with great ease.
- After unpacking your Netgear extender, find a perfect spot in your home for placing it. Choose a location in your house that is close enough to your router so that it can easily pick up the signals coming from the router.
- Also, keep the extender far away from interference-creating objects like mirrors, glasses, fish tanks, refrigerators, Bluetooth speakers, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, and much more.
- Have access to a phone or computer.
- Use the Ethernet cable that came within the extender’s box to connect your Netgear AC1200 WiFi range extender and the existing router.
- Now, turn on your Netgear AC1200 extender and the home router.
- As soon as you have your extender and access to a PC or smartphone, you will need to know some basic information about your router. Apart from your network name (SSID) and password, you also need to know at what frequency your router transmits the signal. Latest WiFi routers often broadcast at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz that may often seem like separate networks but may not always. A dual-band router, by default, generally transmits in both frequencies in the form of two WiFi networks.
- Connect your computer or smartphone to a reliable WiFi network. You can check the signal strength after connecting it.
- Now, double-click on a web browser’s icon you want to use. You are free to use any browser you like. However, make sure that it is the updated one and doesn’t contain any cache, cookies, and browsing history.
- Once a browser window opens, go to mywifiext web-based setup page. For this, type the default mywifiext.net or mywifiext.local web URL in the address bar and press the Enter key.
- You will see the Netgear AC1200 extender login web page.
- Insert the admin user ID and passphrase into the prompted fields.
- Click on the Log In button.
- Wait until you reach the Netgear AC1200 extender’s dashboard.
- Now, you will be asked to choose the WiFi network you want to extend.
- Do the same and click on the Continue button.
- Enter the network password and hit Next.
- Here, you can change the network name or SSID if needed.
- Set up security settings for your extended network.
- Once done, click on the Save button to apply the settings made by you.
- A new page will prompt up showing a congratulations message that says, ‘Congrats! You have successfully set up your Netgear extender’.
- Finally, click on the Finish button.
And there you are! By following the aforementioned steps in the exact given order, you can easily set up your Netgear AC1200 wireless range extender on your own. Now, connect all your WiFi-compatible devices to the extended network, i.e. Netgear_ext.
On the off chance if you find any difficulty while setting up and installing your AC1200 extender, feel free to get in touch with our technical experts via comments.