Whether we want to spend our free time against a machine or if we prefer a live dealer to keep the “human” touch and seeing a friendly face, having fun is the priority when we are gambling, and knowing a variety of games to play is an advantage for any user.
When it comes to playing at online casinos, nobody wants to face the same interfaces, or gambling at the same card games, with no other challenges or rules to improve how much entertainment we got from them.
And poker is no exception to this, because it is not only one of the oldest casino games out there, but an option that has a big amount of varieties and different formats too. So let’s get a glance at different poker games that you can find in many apps or websites. The best online casinos that are committed to quality as a key aspect of their development, always try to keep an updated catalog.
Is there an original Poker version?
This is a subject that has been through many debates, because there is no clear sign of where or when was the actual creation of the game as we know it nowadays.
Some researches state that it may be a descendant version from a 17th century game called “as nas”, from Persia. Others indicate that it could have a straight relation to two games from 15th and 16th century: Brelán and Primiera.
As other antique games, there isn’t a unique answer for this question, but we can be more accurate if we talk about the Texas Hold’em Poker, one of the most famous versions of Poker. This variant could have started during the 18th Century, and became popular after the World War II as we know it today.
How many types of poker games exist nowadays?
That is also a difficult question, but we can talk about different variants that became very popular. But first of all, we need to differentiate the two formats that we might found:
- Virtual poker: in this case, a machine is in charge of managing every round, dealing to every player, and pay to every winner or collect bets when someone loses. In safe online casinos, they should be programmed so that the game is not rigged in any way. We can play against the casino (machine) and/or other players.
- Live dealing poker: this includes a real person live-dealing cards in front of a camera that every player in the table can see. This generates a friendlier and more human environment, instead of just looking at a screen.
Now, let’s talk about many variants that poker has, so that we can choose the one that best suits us.
- Texas Hold’em Poker: as we mentioned before, this can be considered the most famous variant. Every players gets two cards and they have to complete the value of their hand with the other five cards that are dealt over the table.
- Five card draw: this was one of the first versions that became very popular. It involves two phases of discarding and betting. The player with the best hand with five cards wins.
- Omaha Poker: similar to the Texas Hold’em. It involves four cards to every player and they have to bet based on the mix of two of their cards with other of the five cards that are dealt on the table. The fact that there are more cards involved, there is a better chance to get a good hand at the end of the round.
- Stud Poker: there are two types (five card stud and seven card stud) but the system works the same. Every player gets 3 cards, two facing down and one facing up. Every gambler makes its bet, and then other card is dealt to everyone, also facing up. After dealing 5 cards (five card stud variant) or 7 cards (seven card stud variant) and the bets completed, the player that has the best hand wins the round.
- Caribbean Poker: in this case, you compete against the dealer or house. Five cards are dealt to the players and the croupier (who will receive one of them facing up). Every player gets to decide if they continue betting or if they end up folding. Then, after all the bets were done, the person that has a better hand, wins.