CSM (Certified Scrum Master) is a Scrum certification provided by Scrum Alliance. This is specifically for those who want to become a Scrum Master in a Scrum team. This certification gets acknowledged globally in Industries like IT (Information Technology), Automobile, infrastructure, manufacturing etc.
Certified Scrum Master Training covers topics like Agile, Scrum basics, Scrum roles, Scrum values, Empirical process, events, artifacts and a few non-scrum topics like estimation, planning, releasing, tracking, use stories, burndown and burn up charts etc.
Scrum Master is a people-oriented role in a Scrum team. There’s a belief that only project managers or business analysts or test leads can become Scrum Masters. This is not true, the Scrum Master role is more of implementing Scrum within the development teams and organization and people enablement. Anyone who wants to get better in Scrum knowledge and experience along with soft skills, communication, issues resolutions techniques, facilitation and coaching skills, should take CSM Certification.
The reasons why one should opt for CSM Certification:
- The Agile methodology is leading the world by rage and the CSM certification can make you stand apart from the crowd.
- This certification determines that you are a person who can contribute expertise beyond what any conventional project manager can contribute.
- The Scrum Masters are in demand because every team requires a dedicated person who can run and perform different Agile projects effectively.
- A CSM certification grows your knowledge and can benefit you to overcome barriers even if you are a Scrum amateur or a professional who has executed scrum before.
- As a certified Scrum Master, you will be able to guide and motivate the development team to work together smoothly. The certification shows the employees that you have the experience and skills to lead the development team successfully.
- The CSM certification can expand your career opportunities drastically.
- This Certification can make you a better competitor in the scrum field and companies may offer you a higher salary as compared to your non-certified colleagues.
- Certified Scrum Master Training equips you with the right kind of skills that will contribute to fulfilling the business’s goals.
- Certified Scrum Master Training furnishes you with the right set of skills that will serve to fulfil the business’s goals.
- The certification adds the advantage of making you ready to manage large teams across multiple departments using the same framework.
- CSM Certification has a strongly established acceptance across the world which will add more weightage to your resume.
- This certification makes you aware of the Scrum and anti-patterns of scrum implementation and how to tackle them.
- CSM Certification is a badge of honour and the employees would never doubt your ability as a leader and will be open to your ideas.
- This Certification makes you work in a systematic way which in turn helps to save time and money.
How to get CSM certification:
- Two days of classroom training with an open book exam.
- The exam has 50 multiple questions within a duration of 60 minutes.
- Has to score at least 74%, that is to get 37 correct answers out of 50.
- After passing the exam, you will receive a digital license agreement with Scrum Alliance, which you have to download.
- The validation of the certificate is for 2 years.
- After 2 years you can do the next level A-CSM which will renew the CSM or you can pay $100 to renew for the next two years and show 20 Scrum Educational Units.
Syllabus of the CSM
- Overview of scrum
- Product backlog
- The product owner
- Enterprise transformation
- Scrum roles
- Meetings and artifacts
- Scaling Scrum
- Agile development manifesto
- Scrum foundation
- General knowledge of Scrum
- Service to the organization
- Five Scrum Foundations values
Top job designations after getting CSM certification:
- Entry-level Scrum Master
Any individual with experience of less than a year can land you jobs as an entry-level Scrum Master.
- Scrum Master
Any Individual with over a year’s experience in this level can get promoted to the Scrum Master role.
- Senior Scrum Master
With the role of Scrum Master, you will have the responsibility of handling teams and maintaining harmony between the development team.
- Scrum/Agile coach
with the characteristics of a Scrum Master, you have to guide teams, sites and groups in the organization.
- Product owner/manager
With all the knowledge and experience in managing teams, projects, deadlines and pressure. You could get promoted to be a product manager or a product owner.
CSM certification is easy and opens the door for a rewarding career path. This certification tells your colleagues and the world that you have deep knowledge of Scrum and are fit to work as a Scrum Master.