If you are going to be discharged from a rehab in California soon, now is the time to search online for “halfway houses in California”. A halfway house or sober living is for recovering addicts. It helps them to adjust to a new life after rehab and is the perfect “halfway” between leaving a treatment center and moving back into your home. Before you move into these sober living homes however, there are things you should know. There are rules to follow and things that you can bring and not bring to a halfway house.
What you can bring to a halfway house in California:
Things you can bring to halfway houses may differ from one facility to another and also from one state to another. But, by and large, there are some basic things that you should ideally have with you.
- While it is the duty of the halfway house to provide you with clean and hygienic living quarters and washrooms, you need to get certain stuff with you. These include blankets, pillows, linens, and toiletries.
- Besides, you must carry all essential documents like your Social Security Card, driver’s license, and work permit. The facility house manager will encourage you to work and help out with household chores too. When you work, you can become responsible for yourself. As you are financially independent, you can pay rent for your stay.
- You should also carry your health insurance information or any prescription medications which you need to take. The halfway house manager will conduct routine drug and alcohol tests to make sure you do not engage in substance abuse in any form. The main purpose of a halfway house is to help you stay sober and fight your cravings. So, it has to provide a drug-free environment to its residents.
- Apart from essential documentation you can always carry your personal electronics items. Some houses allow the use of laptops and cell phones. But it is always better to inquire beforehand to be sure these are permitted. Some houses do not allow such gadgets for fear of being stolen or have lockers to store these. You can always approach the staff at a sober living home to keep your personal items safe.
- Besides electronics items, you can choose to carry food and drinks, of course, non-alcoholic ones only. You may bring clothes to last you a week at least, plastic hangers for hanging them and a laundry hamper.
These are some basic items which you can bring with you to any halfway house in California. But it is recommended that you check with the authorities first. To know if there is a “sober living near California” in the state, you can visit Halfway House Directory. This site provides an exhaustive list of halfway houses in and around your location. Not only will they provide you with contact details of these facilities but also guide you to make the right choice. If you or your loved one needs specialized treatment, they can direct you to an appropriate halfway home.
click here for more interesting articles